Are you looking for a way to make a difference in the world when you travel, but don’t know where to start?
We get it. When you travel to places where you see signs of poverty, sickness and vulnerability all around you, it’s easy you get overwhelmed.
But, all over the world, there are people who are making an impact; using their journey to create change. And you can be one of them.
We hope this article will serve as an introduction to the world of altruistic traveling, one that will inspire you to use travel to help others and make a difference.
What Is an Altruistic Traveler?
An altruistic traveler is someone who knows that with the privilege of traveling also comes a great deal of responsibility to do good.
They travel the world and have a positive impact on the destinations they are visiting – and, most importantly, on the people who live there.
They are creative and nurturing. They leave a trail of good everywhere they go because they are mindful of the role we all play in creating the better world we want to live in.
Of course, altruistic travelers come in all shapes and sizes, but there are some qualities that you’ll likely find in all of them, such as:
- A strong sense of empathy and a desire to learn more and do more for the world;
- A willingness to grow as human being;
- Generosity (without expecting anything in return);
- A selfless love of others;
- A good heart and a strong moral compass.
Does that sound like you? Then it’s time to act!
A Few Notes on Getting Started
Well, the start is simple. It all begins with an effort to be more conscious of the vast opportunities to make a difference in the world when you travel.
Open yourself up to this new, more meaningful way of traveling by:
- Thinking about choosing your travel destinations based on altruism. In undeveloped countries, for instance, there are plenty of opportunities to volunteer. Donate your time and knowledge to contribute to projects and initiatives that aim to lift up a community you’re visiting.
- Team up with organizations which care about their impact and are giving back to the local community.
- Do more research about travel voluntourism and what it means to travel for a cause.
At the end of the day, the impulse to be altruistic and help others exists in most of us. If you have the means to act on it, there’s nothing stopping you from becoming an altruistic traveler.
Let your heart and passion take you places. You’ll soon become more aware of the great, big world around you and realize there is so much more to life than your day-to-day routine.
Want to Make a Difference in the World? Join MediPacker
Traveling puts you in a position where you can do tremendous good.
MediPacker is an organization committed to providing the power of technology to people who are willing to contribute. So that, together, we can bring intelligent healthcare to people in need from all over the world.
It starts with a backpack and a desire to get involved. For what’s next, we need people like you. Discover how you can join our community of backpackers and support our mission.